Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Excerpt from Interview...

Rabi Haddad

To provide a first hand account of life and traditions in Saudi Arabia we’ve interviewed Rabi Haddad, a 20 year old art student who was mostly raised there. We decided to meet at a Starbucks Cafe on a breezy Friday afternoon to talk for a while and catch up before we went about interviewing her.
After finding a table, we place our orders and wait.
For all her upbringing, Rabi doesn’t look Arab. She’s white with dark blonde hair and brown eyes, and could pass off as American, if her accent didn’t give her away. After discussing our cultural project with her, we settle in to talk. Here’s what we learnt:

How do you identify yourself? Who you are/Where you come from etc..
Rabi: My name is Rabi and I’m from Saudi Arabia.

Where do you live now?
Rabi: My family and I moved to America 4 years ago. We moved right after my 16th birthday with my parents and siblings.

How do you like living here?
Rabi: I didn’t like it at first. Although I speak English, I didn’t understand what people were saying. Sometimes my classmates would laugh at me, but soon I learnt to laugh too. I have made friends since then so now I am happy.

Do you miss your friends in Saudi Arabia?
Rabi: Yes! All the time! When I first came here, I would send them e-mails every week! But then that soon turned into months and then now maybe a few times a year for the holidays. I still miss them though.

You mentioned holidays. Did you celebrate Christmas and Thanksgiving?
Rabi: (laughs) People always find it surprising that I celebrate the holidays. Even after 4 years they ask me that. Yes I did celebrate Christmas, but not Thanksgiving – I think that is American. I am Christian, so Easter and Christmas were huge celebrations in my house. We also had Islamic holidays as well, since Saudi Arabia is a Muslim country.

You’re Christian? Aren’t all Saudis Muslim?
Rabi: No, that is a common mis-conception. A lot of Saudis are Muslims, yes but not all. I’m not Saudi, though. I am Jordanian. My parents moved to Saudi Arabia from Jordan when I was 2 for my father’s job. But I have friends who are Saudis, who are also christian.

How is Christianity accepted in Saudi Arabia?
Rabi: Umm, they do not prohibit you from practicing your faith, but you cannot hold services in the open. For example, there are no churches that I know of. Therefore if my family attended mass, it was usually in a large hall or auditorium. Also you are not allowed to distribute any media about different religons.

Do all the women there have to wear veils over their heads, and why is that?
Rabi: Yes all women do, irrespective of race or religion. Even girls as young as 10 must wear them. They say a woman’s hair is a reason for a man’s desire and therefore a woman must cover her hair to avoid this. Muslim women cover their faces as well. They wear a burka, that hides everything but their eyes. In the Muslim faith, a woman’s body is for her husband and he alone can witness her form.


Describe religion in Saudi Arabia
Rabi: That is a very broad topic! SA is very Islamic. The Sharia (the Islamic police) makes sure that everyone follows the rules in the Quran. Muslims pray five times a day. And therefore, no matter where you are in Sam you will always hear the preacher in a mosque calling out for people to being the prayers – in the morning, afternoon, evening. Religion is a very key aspect to how the country is run. The Royal family usually participates in Islamic celebrations to show that they are still connected to the people. This is how, I think they still manage to have one of the few dominant monarchies in the world.

How is the family life in Saudi Arabia?
Rabi: Since my family was Jordanian, we did not observe strict family codes, but I have seen differences in the homes of my Saudi friends. For example, my friend Safina is an Muslim Saudi. As children when I went over to play at her house, I would see how life was different for her. The women in her family never receive visitors, unless they are first seen my the oldest male in the house. The women always need a male guardian with them at all times, a father, brother or husband. It has to be a blood relation or a marriage related. Although people here in America may see that as oppressive, many Saudi women prefer this relationship.
When I lived there, women were not allowed to drive on their own and therefore always needed a male relative with them to take them anywhere. This has changed recently with a new rule, allowing women to drive. This changed in the June of this year, I think.
Women are also not allowed to get married or divorced, or apply for jobs without their male relative/husband’s consent.

Are men allowed to have more than one wife?
Rabi: Yes, according to the Quran a man may have upto four wives at any one time.


Does that become a problem in the family? Having several wives and children for one man?
Rabi: Not all Saudis follow this. While the thought of having many wives may be appealing to some, it also comes with the responsibilities of talking care of the welfare for all these people. I have only seen a few polygamous families. It is a luxury for the rich.

Can you elaborate on some spiritual customs from SA?
Rabi: Ok, as I mentioned before Muslims pray five times day. The prayer lasts only 10-15 minutes, but it is observed by all businesses, TV channels, radio broadcasts etc. For those 10-15 minutes, five times a day all the shops are briefly closed and the television and radio stations do not transmit anything.
I have actually heard it enough times to repeat it now.
All those who pray must face toward Mecca, the holy Muslim city. There are signs pointing to the direction of Mecca almost everywhere, in hospitals, government offices, schools etc so that no matter where you are, you can always follow the law.
A person who has passed away if turned to face Mecca as well, in order to show reverence for Allah

1 comment:

  1. Why isn't the woman in brown covering up? Where are the fashion/religious police?

    ReplyDelete